Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Soy-free Kichen Goes on the Road, part 3

I should have posted this last week, but better late than never.

Last weekend we visited Elder Daughter at college. We booked at the Residence Inn in Richmond where we've stayed before. (Just found out that there is a Whole Foods and a newly-opened Trader Joe's just blocks from the place, woo-hoo!) This time we brought our entire dinner with us: lasagna, salad, salad dressing, and bread. Residence Inns have ovens, so we could bake the lasagna. We did have to bring an extra place setting, because there were 4 of us, and we invited a friend of Elder Daughter's to eat with us.

The lasagna was not my usual recipe, which takes 2 days to make. I used one from Epicurious, and it came out nearly as good as the old standby. In my opinion, it had slightly too much ricotta, and, like a lot of comments on the site said, it needed more sauce. I made 2 times the sauce recipe, but didn't use it all, so I think 1 1/2 times would be enough (but extra sauce can be useful.) Also, I like slices of sausage in my lasagna, and this recipe crumbles up the sausage with the ground beef. But, homemade lasagna is very rarely a bad thing (although Elder Daughter's father said he once ate one made with too many onions and cottage cheese instead of ricotta that was not worth eating). Here's Epicurious's Three-cheese Lasagna with Italian Sausage.

Oh, yes, and we left out the spinach. Spinach makes Younger Daughter gag.

No comments: