Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Fish to go with that Tartar Sauce, and Cole Slaw

Because a large percentage of prepared foods have soy in them somewhere--I read it's upward of 65%, but I can't prove it--you have to learn to cook more when you're soy-allergic. For example, I have to make my own dried bread crumbs. I let some bread get stale, then whirl it in the blender. For really fine ones, I shake them through a sieve. Store in the freezer or they get rancid or buggy. It doesn't seem to matter to the recipes I use them in if I mix some whole wheat or rye in with the white crumbs.

Being from New England (see the post on Tartar Sauce, July '07), I love fish. Even fish sticks, which I can't eat anymore (even if I wanted to.) But I learned to pan-fry fish by misremembering a recipe in I read in one of my cookbooks. Like some of the others I've posted, it's more of an idea than a recipe . . . here goes:

Pan-fried White Fish

1.) Choose rather thin (1/2 inch or less) filets of white fish--flounder, tilapia, catfish, etc.
2.) Mix homemade fine bread crumbs in a shallow bowl or pie plate with some flour (use about a quarter as much flour as crumbs) salt, paprika, and dried herbs or Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.
3.) Put milk in another shallow bowl.
4.) Heat a frying pan and add a shallow layer of canola or other cooking oil--enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
5.) Dip the fish filets in the milk first, then the bread crumb mixture. It will go faster and easier if you use one hand for the milk dipping, and the other hand for the crumb dipping.
6.) Fry fish over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, turn, and cook until the fish flakes. The time will depend upon the thickness of the fish.
7.) Serve with Tartar Sauce [July '07 post], Oven Fries [October '07 post], and Cole Slaw

Cole Slaw

4-6 cups shredded cabbage and carrots (the amount depends on if you like your cole slaw drier or soupier)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (Hain is best here, too. Hain Light is fine.)
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

1. Measure 1/4 cup mayo in a 1-cup liquid measure.
2. Add the rest of the dressing ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Pour over the cabbage and mix.

You can also use a bag of shredded broccoli in this too, for Broccoslaw.

No comments: