A Soy-free Kitchen Original
(This cooks up very quickly in one pan.)
1 lb sea scallops
1 bag (6-9 oz) baby spinach
2 slices bacon
2 medium shallots
1/2 cup hard cider
1. Cut bacon crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Using a 12" skillet, fry until just crisp; remove to a paper towel. Remove bacon grease from pan, reserving for later.
2. Meanwhile, cut scallops in half crosswise and mince shallots.
3. Put a teaspoon or so of the reserved bacon grease (maybe a little more if the skillet is not non-stick)back in the skillet. Sear scallops over high heat, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and tent with foil.
4. Put another teaspoon or so bacon grease back in the skillet and saute minced shallots briefly. When they are just starting to turn a little brown around the edges, add the cider and deglaze the pan. Add spinach, cover the pan, and cook until the spinach is wilted but not mushy. Add the bacon pieces and toss.
5. Serve the scallops over the spinach.
Serves 2-3. Possible accompaniments: Orzo or rice pilaf.