I heartily recommend this recipe from Cooking Light magazine. We had it tonight, with a few changes:
- I didn't have any fontina cheese, so we went with all mozzarella
- I used 8 oz of mozzarella instead of the 6 oz of mozzarella/fontina a half recipe should have used.
- I didn't have any whole-wheat panko (which often has soy, anyway) so we used homemade dried mixed (whole wheat, rye, oatmeal bread, whatever was on hand) bread crumbs.
- We used a whole 24-oz jar of sauce for a half a recipe
- It said a whole recipe served 10, but we got 6 servings out of a half recipe
My (dear) husband liked it and asked that it be made again. Since the kids never liked eggplant, and I am officially an empty-nester as of 24 August, I suspect he may get his wish.
Homemade breadcrumbs instead of whole-wheat panko
Misto sprayer with canola oil, instead of commercial cooking spray
Jar of commercial sauce carefully checked to make sure there is no soy or soy oil in it